PLATINUM DANCE the POINTE PROGRAM
Our Pointe Program at Platinum is meant for those dancers who love ballet, fulfill the physical requirements needed to successfully dance on pointe, are 100% committed to putting in the additional hours of hard work, and whose goal is to dance on pointe. Dancers will be invited to take the Pointe Readiness Test by Ms. Tafat. Should a dancer pass the test, she will be accompanied by Tafat or Solana to get fitted for pointe shoes, will attend a sewing workshop with Solana, and then sign up for a minimum of 1 class/week.
The Pointe Preparation class is ideally for the committed, self-directed young dancer, age 9 & up, participating in at least 2 ballet classes per week, who meet the physical requirements needed to eventually dance on Pointe, and whose end goal is to dance on Pointe. Dancers who do not meet the physical requirements, but are hoping to further strengthen their bodies, may also enroll with the goal of using this class as an additional training opportunity. The Pointe Preparation class is meant to help dancers build strength in their bodies through foot exercises, theraband exercises, and core exercises. The expectation is that dancers will work on their own time (outside of class) for desired results. These committed dancers should plan on year-round training to build the skills necessary for strong bodies.
Pointe dancers are expected to be participating in a minimum of 2 ballet classes per week and maintain year-round conditioning for injury-free advanced skills. These dancers have just passed the Pointe Readiness Test and are putting on their pointe shoes for the first time, and/or are focusing on fully standing on top of their pointe shoe box properly.
Pointe dancers are expected to be participating a minimum of 2 ballet classes per week and maintain year-round conditioning for injury-free advanced skills. These dancers are able to stand on top of their pointe shoe box with proper alignment and execute very basic exercises.
Pointe dancers are expected to be participating in 3 ballet classes per week and maintain year-round conditioning for injury-free advanced skills. These dancers have the strength to execute select exercises OFF the barre.
STEPS to enroll in Pointe Program:
- Read through the Platinum Pointe Program information
- If your family is ready to fully commit to the PDC Pointe Program, email Ms. Tafat to let her know you are interested (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Your dancer will be invited for a quick 5-10 minute physical assessment (no charge).
- If your dancer meets the physical requirements needed for Pointe work, Ms. Tafat will invite her to enroll in the Pointe Preparation class and will work towards getting on Pointe.
- If your dancer does not meet the physical requirements, they are welcome to take this class as an additional training class for the season.
- A dancer who meets the physical requirements and participates in the Pointe Preparation class, may at any time email Ms. Tafat and request to take the Pointe Readiness Test on the scheduled dates (April, August).
- Ms. Tafat and Ms. Solana will let a dancer know if she is prepared and likely to pass the test. If not deemed ready, a dancer should try again at the next testing date.
- Once a dancer passes the Pointe Readiness Test, she will get fitted for pointe shoes (group fitting date will be scheduled ahead of time), as well as attend the scheduled sewing workshop with Ms. Solana.
- Dancer will move into the Beginner Pointe class and work hard in hopes of eventually moving into the Intermediate and Advanced Pointe classes, at Ms. Tafat’s invitation.
- The most advanced Pointe dancers will likely perform at Nutcracker and/or “Ballet Opener” at recital.
What are the attendance requirements?
How flexible can we be, without it halting the progress of the dancer?
For dancers participating in the Pointe Preparation class, required attendance is 1 class per week. For dancers participating in the Pointe classes, required attendance is minimum 1 class per week. The amount of time you put in will determine how far you will go with Pointe!